Development of Ideas

So after telling everybody my idea for a show/performance, I 100% feel more confident about it. The feedback I received was brilliant, and thanks to this, I think I may want to look more into routines as well. From the book I read that gave me this inspiration (Am I Normal Yet?), the protagonist does actually have routines that she develops throughout the story. She does things like touching every lamppost on her route home from school and if she doesn’t she believes something bad will happen. Similarly, while at an event held at her secondary school, she goes to the toilet and she has to rub around the outline of each mirror above the sinks.

I find this idea surrounding routine quite interesting. Anyone else would think that nothing bad is going to, or could happen if you don’t touch every lamppost or open a door a certain amount of times. Anyone else would consider themselves to be normal as these thoughts are necessarily, or socially, classed as being normal.

Am I Normal Yet
Holly Bourne’s book – Am I Normal Yet?

This image is the front cover of my primary stimulus, Am I Normal Yet? Considering the idea of routine, which I’ve mentioned before, I think another book that may be of use as another stimulus or source is Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time:

TCIOTDITNT
Mark Haddon’s book – The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

This book, much to the delight of myself, has been made into a West End show, currently being shown. The protagonist has Asperger’s Syndrome and, from I can remember about this book, there were many different forms of routines in his, the protagonists, life. It is a book that I intend to read again in order to gain more influence.

Because the protagonist has Asperger’s, I may have to look into and research what it’s like for those with a form of mental disability like this and how important routine is to them.

1 thought on “Development of Ideas

1. I like your material Andrew.We need a shape for the show? Perhaps use/read the curious incident.Why not find some material from it you can work with? Martin